Terry Tarsier's Environmental Facts
Submitted by Lisa Ruffman-Weiss on November 29, 2013 - 16:45
By Lisa Ruffman-Wiess.
- If just 25% of U.S. families used 10 fewer plastic bags a month, we would save over 2.5 BILLION bags a year.
- On the average, the 140 million cars in America are estimated to travel almost 4 billion miles in a day. According to the Department of Transportation, they use over 200 million gallons of gasoline doing it.
- Every year we throw away 24 million tons of leaves and grass. Leaves alone account for 75% of our solid waste in the fall.
- Homeowners use up to 10 times more toxic chemicals per acre than farmers.
- Over 100 pesticide ingredients are suspected to cause birth defects, cancer, and gene mutations.
- Every ton of recycled office paper saves 380 gallons of oil.
- About 1% of U.S. landfill space is full of disposable diapers, which take 500 years to decompose.
- Energy saved from one recycled aluminum can will operate a TV for 3 hours.
- That is the equivalent of half a can of gasoline.
- Glass produced from recycled glass instead of raw materials reduces related air pollution by 20%, and water pollution by 50%.
- Americans use 50 million tons of paper annually -- consuming more than 850 million trees.